Yes, it’s true.
In reviewing my 2012, reading old posts, looking at my recent life, I realized, for all my sunshine-ness, I’m in a “rut.” I’m not living up to my potential, not accomplishing my goals. I’m not truly being ME to my full capacity.
And it’s time to get UN-STUCK.
OM GAM GANAPATAYE NAMAHA.
The mantra for new beginnings. Om gam ganapataye namaha. The chant to remove obstacles and start a-new. The mantra to get oneself un-stuck.
What better time than a New Year?
My college friend Alex is one smart cookie. She posted the following question on facebook on New Year’s: “Happy New Year everyone! Some friends and I are planning on doing a ‘January Healthy Living Challenge’ [where] we pledge to move our body in some way every day, and set our own food goals/guidelines. We did it in November, and it was so helpful to have the support and accountability. Let me know if you want to join!”
Alex created a facebook group to provide a positive means and forum for communication to help us live healthier in 2013. I love it! Address obstacles inwardly, but express obstacles OUTWARDLY to help keep yourself on track and eliminate your obstacles for healthy living.
So I’ve signed on. I’m stuck and I’m ready to get unstuck! Having a group support seems a wonderful way to begin. Do you allow outsiders to help you with your transformations?
My realistic goals are due to the group, today. I’ve spent quite a few hours thinking about them. I’ve meditated on discovering how and where I’m “stuck,” This January, I’m embarking on a path to understand and break down my personal barriers that make me stuck. Om gam ganapataye namaha.
Here in Florida, we have a 30 day yoga challenge with Yoga Tampa Bay. I already do yoga every day, so making sure I have a daily practice isn’t really a “challenge.” I am signed up to do it, but game for more. How do I take it to the next level of health? How do I make the challenge, well, challenge and help to unleash my soul’s potential and remove and understand my personal obstacles?
So, after conversing with a yoga friend of mine out of state, I decided to take up Baron Baptiste’s 40 Days to Personal Revolution. I’ll bring the 30 day yoga challenge to the next level–and really make sure to improve my personal meditation practice and healthy eating.
My goals for the next forty days:
- Baron Baptiste’s 40 day “revolution” (thus also accomplishing the 30 day yoga challenge)
- I will get my yoga on at home every day and also seek to attend as many classes in the community as possible.
- To really strengthen my practice, I pledge to practice an inversion every day for the 40 days.
- I will meditate twice daily, following the minimum time guidelines suggested in Baron Baptiste’s revolution.
- I pledge to re-read Rolf Gates’s fantastic book Meditations from the Mat and write a reflection response for every day in January.
- In addition to following the healthy eating guidelines Baron Baptiste’s book provides, I vow to cook more healthy and vegetarian food.
- I will eat out less, but invite friends over to dine with me more. Cooking for one is never fun, so why not invite friends over?
- I will stop cheating in my cooking and eating because I’m lazy or tired, but better plan out my meals in advance. By planning in advance, I can cook with fresh and, when possible, local ingredients.
- When I dine out, I will make informed choices and remember portion size. I’ll not be afraid to take food home–or NOT take it home if that is the healthier option! It’s okay to leave food on the table, no matter what we were told growing up.
- I will not eat while watching any kind of tv or movie.
- I will go for a walk at least once every day, for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- There will be dancing or singing every day, for a minimum of FIVE minutes.
- I will continue my creative writing and emotional growth with the Artist’s Way. The holidays got in the way and so I’m going to go BACK to the beginning. (I’ve been doing the morning pages and little else.) Isn’t one of the best lessons in life the ability to admit defeat and start anew? So that’s what I am going to do y’all! Plus, Julie Andrews taught me in the Sound of Music that the beginning is “a very good place to start.”
I will “officially” begin the 40 day revolution on Saturday, January 5th. I need not wait until then to start my journey, however! I’ve begun Rolf Gates’s reflection exercise, done some creative writing, meditated, and had a home practice with the aid of yogaglo. And fully intend to do a lovely legs-up-the wall pose before bedtime tonight!
Are you stuck?!?
Wanna start to fix it? Can you find your own group to set January healthy living goals? Take the 40 Day Revolution on your own? Set another 40 day transformation goal?
Om Gam Ganapataye Namahah. Try chanting that mantra (say it just like it is spelled) 108 times. Do you feel a difference? Can we begin to remove our obstacles?
How do you get UNSTUCK!?!