Me & Now: January Round-Up
Okay, dear January, we meet an end.
So far 2013 has been great. There’s been some annoyances (yes, those pesky hair pulling feelings of frustration occured), but there’s also been an awful lot of wonderfulness.
And as my Healthy Living Challenge group prepares to head into a new month of February, it’s time to look back on how I did in January. I had some lofty goals for 2013 and I think I did do fairly well, all things considered.
- Started Baron Baptiste’s #40digitaldays
- Did yoga of some kind EVERY DAY but ONE. (But Gasparilla was worth it! And even on Gasparilla I did get in a few hand-stands, so that’s still a bit of yoga..yeah?)
- I meditated every day but one. (Again, Gasparilla to blame!)
- I definitely cooked more healthy and vegetarian foods
- I had dinner with a friend (home-cooked food) every week!
- I did not have a frozen dinner or take-out food/pizza…except for the day of Gasparilla and, um, yesterday. But it was a Trader Joe frozen dinner, so does that make it better?
- I made better choices eating out… for the most part. I definitely have been eating out less!
- I’ve been walking every day, on average at least 20-30 minutes!
- I read almost all the month’s posts in Meditations from the Mat and sporadically wrote responses to the ones that “clicked” with me the most.
- I did my three pages of journal writing every day, sometimes more
Room for Improvement
- I did not do an inversion every day, but averaged about every other day. I think think that I sometimes a) get lazy or b) just jinx myself out of doing a hand-stand or forearm stand out of subconscious fear, not because I didn’t want to do it.
- Meditate twice daily only happened sporadically. Somehow I struggle with regularly making time to meditate.
- I totally ate while watching Nashville on HuluPlus. Multiple times. Gotta stop that. I know it’s bad to eat while watching a movie or tv, but sometimes it just seems so much EASIER when you live alone. And I’m addicted to Nashville…..
- I forgot to dance and sing every day. I mean, I literally only remembered maybe a total of five days out of the month. I need to have more fun when I’m cruisin’ around my apartment! (Or driving in the car…)
- I did not read all of the posts in Meditations from the Mat–and often waited and caught up on a few after the post’s date.
- Although I wrote a bit, I did not really work on my creative writing at all. I started a chapter of a book–and then made excuses and said I was “too busy” to be creative. I know that’s a cop-out, I wasn’t too busy. I was scared! Being creative is scary and, like skipping on the daily inversions, I let myself run away from the hard. But that stops now.
What I see with January is that a) I need to establish more concrete goals for myself and b) I need to stop being fearful. Some of my “needs improvement” areas came from me resisting the now–and giving into my fears. Faffing instead of acting. Or being lazy. No big deal, these things are fixable.
I’m going to weigh in on my mind, body, and spirit and come up with some concrete goals for February. I believe that 2013 LOVE is going to #mybestyear. Now I just need to allow myself to let the best year play out! And remain present for all the remaining days.
How did you do with your January goals?