Make a ripple!

Don’t.
Can’t.
Wait.
Stop.

How often do you find yourself saying those words.

No, I can’t do that.
I will wait to do that.
People don’t do that.
Stop! What a crazy idea! (Or Stop! This is scary! Or STOP! I just don’t know what I’m doing.)

You CAN do that. You can do so much more than you think you can.

Having my keyboard and singing reminded me of all the things I have SAID I would do, but haven’t done… That I’ve convinced myself I can’t do.

We are capable of so much. We just let our heads get in the way, over-think, and convince ourselves that we can’t. That it isn’t done. Or that we need to wait.

We always say it’s good to wait. Or “I can’t do that right now.” But maybe tomorrow. Or “No” that’s just not possible.

WHY?!?!

I have limited sheet music at my house right now, but I do have a collection of Stephen Sondheim music. Stephen Sondheim’s musical Anyone Can Whistle is too complex to sum up in a brief sentence. Let it be said, however, that the musical deals with identity, individuality, conformity, self-doubt, miracles,  appearance vs. reality, and the power of letting go.

One of the main characters, Fay, can’t whistle. It’s not just whistling she can’t do. Fay is so controlled in her life that she can’t let go or laugh or even love. She dons a costume to find her own sense of freedom, love and, ultimately over three acts of the musical, Fay is able to make her first shrill whistle. It’s a horribly ugly whistle, but it’s a whistle, nonetheless.

Do you whistle in life? Or are you like Fay? Do you tell yourself you CAN’T?! Is there something that you’ve wanted to do but you are holding back from? Can you stop with the “nos” and try on a “yes” attitude? Even if you fall, as they say in the musical “it’s better than not trying at all.”

Here’s the song “Everybody says don’t” from Anything Goes. “Don’t be afraid to try!” Even musical haters should give it a listen:

We all have the power to let go, try, and “make a ripple” in life. It’s okay to laugh, to love, to go for the goal, to take a great leap of faith. It’s okay to try and fail. Just be willing to “make a noise.”  Don’t give up before you’ve started. “Say try!!”

What are you afraid of? What’s holding you back? Can you start, however small, to go after your fears? To chase after your dreams? Be brave. You can start with “a ripple…next time a wave!”

Why are you waiting?

Be brave.

Give it a try!

10 Comments

1. Kelly Wade February 5, 2013 2:39 pm  Reply

Interesting. It’s kind of like saying that the hardest part of any journey is the start. Once you find the courage to at least try, you often surprise yourself and realize that you can do a lot more than you thought. Once you achieve something small in the beginning, it can instantly motivate you to try something else and to keep going. Its amazing how powerful the little voice in our own heads is.

• Lora (Daily Southern Sunshine) February 5, 2013 8:21 pm  Reply

I agree. Starting can be the hardest part. It’s always easier to NOT begin something than to find the courage to take that first brave little step. ๐Ÿ™‚ The voice in our heads can be crazy!!

2. Debbie Philp February 5, 2013 10:44 pm  Reply

So true. It’s so much easier to use positive language when we’re talking to others, isn’t it? If we just talked to ourselves the way we talk to our friends, imagine what we could do.

• Lora (Daily Southern Sunshine) February 6, 2013 8:00 am  Reply

I agree Debbie! We apply such generosity to others and positive language, but then immediately love to beat ourselves up in our heads! Just imagine how much we could accomplish if we just used the same positivity on ourselves!

3. Jenny February 5, 2013 11:29 pm  Reply

I like to quote Jedi Master Yoda “do or do not. There is no try.”

• Lora (Daily Southern Sunshine) February 6, 2013 8:03 am  Reply

Sometimes, there’s nothing like Yoda! (P.S. Still digging your love my abs challenge for February, though I’m not brave enough to post a before/after picture! Which I guess says I still have some work to do silencing my own voice in my head!!)

4. Anne ~ Freedom Yoga February 6, 2013 8:31 am  Reply

I have a saying that is along these same lines….”you can’t score a goal if you don’t shoot the puck”! (What can I say, I’m a Canadian girl very happy the NHL Lock-out is over!)…

• Lora (Daily Southern Sunshine) February 6, 2013 9:10 am  Reply

I need to learn more about hockey–I’ve been to one game in my life and had fun, but don’t know the rules! (And hopefully the Tampa Bay Lightening will do ok this year and give me an excuse to get to some games and learn more!!) I agree though–you have to shoot to score! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Jenna {Real Simple Girl} February 7, 2013 12:24 am  Reply

I love this! You’re right– we are capable of so much–anything we put our minds to! ๐Ÿ™‚