Brown rice, two ways
Recently I have rediscovered brown rice. I don’t have a rice cooker and I always had TERRIBLE botched attempts at making rice at home, attempts that usually involve me picking burned rice off the bottom of a pan with my fingernails after waiving vigorously at the smoke alarm with a towel to stop the fire alarm from going off. Not so fun.
But thanks to Trader Joe’s, I can buy frozen pre-cooked organic brown rice. In three minutes, WHAM! Brown rice. Without the tons and tons of fake stuff that you find in quick brown rice at Publix.
This week, I’ve been able to enjoy brown rice in two more unique ways.
First, with peanut butter for dinner.
Then, the leftover rice with scrambled eggs for breakfast!
How do you love your brown rice? What do you think of frozen pre-cooked rice? Have you tried it?
Check out my recipes:
Vegan Peanut Butter (and gluten-free!) Stir Fry
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups (or more) mixed vegetables, chopped (I used broccoli, red bell pepper strips, snap peas, carrots, etc.)
1 clove garlic, crushed
2-3 cups baby spinach
2 tablespoons creamy organic peanut butter
- Bring a wok or large skillet to high heat. Add olive oil.
- Add onion.
- Once onion begins to turn translucent add mixed vegetables and garlic.
- After two minutes or so, reduce heat to medium. Add spinach. Cover with a lid and let cook for five minutes.
- Heat brown rice.
- Remove cover from wok. Stir in peanut butter. Mix with brown rice and eat up!
Gluten-Free Breakfast Rice and Egg Scramble
1/2 cup organic brown rice
1 organic egg
1/8 cup organic skim milk
1/2-1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
2 cups spinach
1 oz crumbled feta cheese
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Coat with olive oil. Add spinach and garlic. Saute. Remove spinach from heat and set aside.
- Add more olive oil to pan, if necessary. Reduce heat to low. In a small bowl mix egg and milk. Whisk vigorously. Add eggs to to pan. Scramble eggs over low heat. After approximately a minute of cooking time, add the feta. Continue to cook. When eggs are nearing completion, add the spinach/garlic mixture.
- Meanwhile, heat brown rice.
- Once eggs are cooked thoroughly, add the egg/spinach/feta scramble to the brown rice. Mix to combine, so that the gooey cheese/egg is evenly distributed with the brown rice.
- Serve with your favorite coffee and eat with chopsticks for breakfast! (A fork works, as well, if you’re not awake enough for chopsticks–I wasn’t!)