Take me out to the ball game!
I love baseball.
April = happiness because BASEBALL IS BACK!
Root for the home team y’all.
For me, that is the TAMPA BAY RAYS!
|Check out David Price with his Cy Young award. Y’all the Rays have some amazing players!|
I love going to games and try to go to as many games as humanly possible.
The season just started for us on Tuesday and I have already been to three out of the past five games.
But let’s face it.
Going to baseball games can be super unhealthy.
So the question becomes, how do I maintain my healthy living goals in a land of hot dogs, peanuts, crackerjacks, and cold beer?
It’s not as easy as I’d like it to be. But it is possible!!
Here’s how I manage to survive:
- I’ve made beer a treat during baseball season. I don’t digest beer well at all. So, as the days get longer and the weather gets warmer, it is easy to over-indulge in beer. So I will ONLY let myself drink beer at the baseball stadium. It becomes a special treat and, at least, helps to prevent the feeling of perpetual puffiness in the summer.
- Drink your water! My Tropicana Field stadium lets you bring in a factory sealed water bottle. Bring it the game and drink UP! (For free.)
- Eat before the game as much as possible. On Wednesday, I went to a 7:10 pm game and made sure to have (even though I was out) a mahi-mahi grilled sandwich before we went in. I left off the bun, ate a few of the chips, and was completely full before setting foot in the stadium. I wasn’t even tempted to look at the jumbo soft pretzels!!
- Don’t snack. I refuse to snack at games. Just because you are surrounded by ice cream, peanuts, popcorn, and french fries, doesn’t mean you have to eat them. So don’t!!
- If you order a sandwich (grilled chicken is a good call), ask them to leave off the fries. If they aren’t on your plate, you won’t be tempted to eat them all!
- Know your options. Tropicana Field lists their concession stands. Does your stadium also have a gluten-free area, a bbq restaurant (a little pulled pork can be a better option than getting that greasy cheese burger and fries), and even deli sandwiches? Look before you go and know what you want in advance!
- Don’t deny yourself. If you’re really craving a hot dog, get the hot dog. On Friday night, I really wanted a soft pretzel for dinner with the ridiculously fake cheese sauce. It is terrible for you and after a full bites, I felt satisfied. I threw away the rest of my pretzel and sauce (there was a ton) as soon as I was full, to prevent mindless eating.
- If you are going to tailgate, bring your own healthy food just for you!
- Make sure to add some walking to your seated adventure. Can you go check out the outfield bar, even though there’s a drink option right by you? Can you park further away to make your walk longer or go in a different gate? For me, I can even walk to or from the stadium so long as I’ve got a walking buddy. Find ways to burn a few extra calories. Cheering loudly for your home team always helps!!!
How do you survive the summer baseball season? Do you love going to games as much as I do?
And lastly…GO RAYS!!! 🙂
|With one of my besties at a Rays game last season.|