Lora Hogan > Uncategorized  > Fitness Friday: Well that Tropical Storm Got Me

Fitness Friday: Well that Tropical Storm Got Me

Yesterday, it was windy.

Super windy.

And it knocked the wind out of my sails.

Okay, so not exactly, but the wind made my run SUPER DUPER HARD.

I felt like Bob Seger in that song “Against the Wind.”

I was running against the wind.  Quite literally.

And boy, did I ever run SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

Running against Tropical Storm level winds is HARD.

Paired with looking out for debris (thankfully the rain had stopped), I had one slow 5k.

I ran so much slower than normal for a 5k. I’m talking nearly 2.5 MINUTES slower with a 10:30 pace.  It was CRAZY!!

It was a good mental, challenge, however, as it was more a battle with the brain adjusting to going slower than normal than it was a war between my body and the wind.

Have you ever run in super intense winds?  How do you cope when your brain wants to do something different than you are physically able to handle at that moment?

I reminded myself to be grateful for my meditation practice and mental dedication to my sport. I also think it helped that I wore my awesome new Kinvara4 shoes and my new Nike shirt:

Always stay positive! And next run will have me back to my 8 minute miles!

Comments:

• Christopher Malenab

June 7, 2013 at 12:14 pm

I always think of big picture … running in wind allows for added resistance. Added resistance helps for tougher workouts making me tougher on race day. The other side of it is can’t control the wind so I just gotta deal with it.

• P.J. Murphy

June 7, 2013 at 3:10 pm

The bigger picture here is that you got your run in! To paraphrase the old saying, you lapped all the couch potatoes who battened down the hatches and didn’t run this morning!

A slow run is still a workout. A slow run against tropical storm winds is a heckuva workout! Great job!

• courage2run

June 7, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Great job getting it done! I remind myself not every run can be wonderful, the tough ones make the awesome ones sooo much more awesome!

• Anna {Herbivore Triathlete}

June 7, 2013 at 5:20 pm

I agree with Christopher, if your training runs are hard it can only make you better on race day.

Great job, and your time wasn’t too shabby for running in a tropical storm in my opinion.

• AmyC @ running escapades

June 7, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I look at windy runs as another form of training, just with resistance 😉

Love the tee! Happy Friday!

• Amy Glass

June 7, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Nice run with the extra resistance 🙂

• Jenna {Real Simple Girl}

June 7, 2013 at 9:33 pm

Kudos to you for getting out and running in that wind! And I love your new kicks and tee!!

• Larissa Dalton Stephanoff

June 7, 2013 at 10:52 pm

I abhor windy runs. Way to stick with it! Somewhere I read an article that said running against the wind hurts you twice as much as running with the wind helps you. (I realize that’s kind of confusing). The writer made the point that on a windy day, even on an out and back route – so theoretically the wind will help you at some point – you’re still going to run slower than normal.

• Kelsey Sheron

June 9, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Props for even getting out and running in the intense winds, it’s a great excuse for a lot of people to take a rest day, so you won half the battle right there! Then you were smart to not let your mind out-do your physical ability as well, smart running girl!

• Runaway Bridal Planner

June 9, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Not a lover of winds either, but at least you did it rather than just passing up the day! Great new running gear!

• Maria H

June 14, 2013 at 8:28 pm

Ack! I hate running head winds…I can’t imagine tropical storm winds!! Cool shirt and shoes! I took the Kinvaras for a test run a couple weeks ago but they just aren’t for me. I love that they are lightweight though!

• Maria H

June 14, 2013 at 8:29 pm

• Maria H

June 14, 2013 at 8:30 pm

I swear I commented but I guess it didn’t go through?

I hate running in head strong wind…I can’t imagine running in tropical storm winds! And love the shirt and shoes. I took the Kinvaras for a test run a couple weeks ago but they just aren’t for me. I love that they are lightweight though!