Paleo: Day Two with Chocolate Brownie Bites
Day Two, and going strong!
- Smoked Salmon Veggie Scramble with Alaskan Wild Smoked Salmon from Whole Foods, one egg and two egg whites, broccoli, mushrooms, and 1/4 of a large avocado. Cooked in ghee!
- Slice and a half (the crust) of that amazing Julian Bakery “Italian-Style” Paleo Bread
- Left-over Paleo lemon chicken
- Sauteed mushrooms and spinach
- Baked sweet potato
Chocolate Chocolate Brownie Bites (Gluten-Free, SCD, Primal)
So even Mark’s Daily Apple says that chocolate in moderation is totally okay, as long as it is the best quality dark chocolate with no added sugars, soy, etc. He calls chocolate one of the “sensible vices.” (He also lists red wine, woohoo!)
Paleo Chocolate Brownie Bites Recipe
- 6 tablespoons sugary of choice (I used mostly honey, but ran out, so cheated and had to use a little organic sugar…NOT Paleo. :/)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened organic cocoa powder (read label carefully for fillers!!)
- 2 tablespoons almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup soy-free dark chocolate chunks (I used the “Enjoy Life” brand)
If you are feeling adventurous you could also add some chopped pecans or walnuts, or coconut flakes!
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a mixing bowl, beat sweetener and coconut flour. Add eggs, beating one at a time. Add almond extract and mix well.
- In a smaller bowl shift together cocoa powder, almond meal, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Stir in chocolate chunks (and pecans, coconut flakes, dried fruit, etc.) by hand.
- Place on greased or parchment-lined cooking sheets in round balls. Bake for eight minutes.
- Let cool and enjoy (in moderation)! Store in refrigerator or other cool place.