Help! I have an Upper-Limit Problem!
I have an Upper Limit Problem.
What is an Upper Limit Problem, you may ask?
Gay Hendricks discusses this problem in his book: The Big Leap.
An Upper Limit Problem is basically a self-imposed ceiling on our happiness. When we get to a certain level of awesomeness we subconsciously sabotage our own joy. This Upper Limit prevents us from truly enjoying our full capacity for happiness, success, love, joy, and abundance.
Examples of an Upper-Limit Problem from my life:
- Car Accidents
- Getting sick on the day of that big job interview, presentation, yoga workshop
- Letting fear get in the way of a really awesome relationship and creating insecurities where none exist, so that I can prevent myself from really just being happy and present and enjoying said relationships
- As you get close to your race/improve your yoga practice/etc., getting yourself injured from an over-use or careless injury
- Spilling a glass of water or coffee all over your computer because you are frantic about something you have to do or overly excited
- Avoiding Issues (ie not returning phone calls, texts, not having important discussions, not showing up)
- Losing things/Carelessness (ie losing gift cards, being careless with money, forgetting big events, etc.)
- Deflection–ie saying “oh this dress is great, but I got it on sale.” Or “oh this old thing? It’s so old..can you tell that I spilled coffee on it once?” Deflecting praise, compliments, or success.
Basically, an UPPER LIMIT PROBLEM is when you let the RESISTANCE and FEAR get the best of you. You convince yourself that you aren’t WORTHY of being so happy, awesome, in love, wealthy, whatever, and so you SELF-SABOTAGE your joy.
When we reach a level of success, growth, happiness in one area of our lives, we subconsciously butcher another part of our lives. We decide that we aren’t worthy for so much success, love, wealth, whatever it may be, and so we try to force ourselves back down to where we were before.
I have an UPPER LIMIT problem and it is stopping NOW. You are all welcome to join me on this joy train.
You can break the Upper Limit cycle. You can expand your ceiling and limit for happiness. Because you deserve UNLIMITED joy, love, abundance, and just plain awesomeness. You are worthy!!
Learn to celebrate yourself. Learn to enjoy the success, the happiness, the love. Let go your insecurities and nagging fears. When fear or doubt creeps up or you find yourself feeling UNWORTHY of so much joy or feeling like you are more comfortable being a VICTIM than the HERO of your life story, step into the light. Raise your inner-sword of awesomeness and step into the greatness that you deserve.
We are worthy. So worthy. Success is scary. Love is scary. Finding new levels of contentment is petrifying. Because it means you have to let go of all your past notions of who you think you are. You have to decide that you deserve the good things. And you have to keep plugging along, keep loving you, and remind yourself that you are AWESOME and you deserve all the good things coming your way and more.
In periods of major growth and change and excitement, create a new affirmation for YOU. Remind yourself that you deserve all the good things coming your way–and then some. And keep repeating to yourself that you DESERVE greatness, happiness, success, love, etc. Gradually increase your limit and tell others that you appreciate them and their roles in the journey. Practice mindfulness, yoga, meditation. Take a step back and relax when things get frantic.
And just remind yourself that the SKY is the limit for your happiness. You are worthy of all the joy humanly possible!!
Stretch your upper limit comfort zone and embrace the unlimited capacity for true happiness that you deserve.
What do you think?