One of my yoga teachers and mentors Sage Rountree says “rest is coming for you!”
Either you choose the rest, or the rest chooses you.
You get sick. You get injured. Something happens to FORCE you to stop. To take time-out. To relax.
So we need to be proactive. We need to make sure that, with all the busy GO GO GO, we take time to rest intentionally. Before we get sick, injured, overworked, or overwhelmed.
Take time for you.
It doesn’t need to be a huge thing every day. But there needs to be some time spent where you are not rushing around, where you are not doing, where you are not STRIVING for something. Where you are able to be.
I find this quiet rest time by:
- savasana aka yoga final relaxation or yoga nidra practice
- practicing legs up the wall pose or other restorative yoga poses
- going for a long walk and turning the cell phone off
- turning off technology and curling up with a good book
- writing in my journal every day
- listening to music, singing, and dancing…sometimes doing all three at once! (But only when I’m alone in my apartment, ha!)
- baking and spending time in the kitchen
What is your quiet time? Do you take time out for you? Do you disconnect from technology, from doing, from the go-go-go of life? Do you ever just sit back and rest with yourself? Let thoughts just wash over you as they come up?
Take time out for you. Take time out to be with yourself. To rest. To restore. To recharge.
Remember, if you don’t….
Rest is coming for you!
Choose your rest, don’t let it choose you. And live a fuller, happier, healthier life (with less injuries, anxiety, you name it!) as a result.
What do you think? Leave your thoughts in the comments below.