It’s Britney Yogis!

I’ve been receiving a lot of flack recently.

Why?

Because on Sunday, April 26 from 4:30 pm to 5:45 pm, I’m bringing Britney Spears Yoga to Tampa, Florida at Soul Rooster.

And a lot of the yoga community is NOT happy with it.

For every enthusiastic text, message, email, post, you name it–I have also received a message saying that this is “not” yoga, that it is inappropriate, that Britney Spears does not in any way represent yoga, and that the whole thing is totally inappropriate.

Oy vey!

If this was a major city–NYC, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco–this kind of yoga event is, well, normal.

Apparently, not in Florida.

And I was feeling a bit disheartened. Because it sucks to have people constantly criticizing you about something that you are excited about.

Then my Mom told me this: “When you’re doing something different and new, some people aren’t going to like it. They’re going to feel uncomfortable, threatened, annoyed, jealous, or just plain confused. Let them be them. You just have to keep doing YOU and trust that people will appreciate y-o-u and all that you offer!!”

I’m not about teaching yoga to the yogis.

There’s tons of that going around. And I love me some Krishna Das every once in a while.

But I’m about bringing yoga to everyBODY.

And to get the true community involved, you have to make yoga fun. You have to make yoga accessible. You have to know that it’s okay to laugh, to groove, to ENJOY your yoga class.

For me, every yoga class provides a chance to help people breathe, to move, to find the present moment, and to connect to something deeper than themselves. I always teach a class with a theme. I ask my yogis to set intention. I bring them to the here and now again and again.

But we laugh. We dance. We listen to fun music. We do hard poses. We do easy poses. We come back to our intention. We exhale out the mouth and let junk go. We get grounded, centered, and access hard to feel emotions and stuff in the body–from a place of comfort and safety.  We practice mudras in an accessible way, we om at the end with consciousness, AND we listen to pop music.

So I’m excited for my Britney class. I’m excited to bring yoga to a new group of people. The traditional American yoga class model is not sustainable when it comes to engaging the greater community at large. If I want to bring yoga to the masses, to reach beginners and infrequent yogis, athletes, businessmen, you name it. The approach needs to change. We need to keep bringing new people to classes, to get the average people to experience the awesomeness that is yoga. And that takes a different way of thinking.

And that’s who I am. This is MY way of teaching. I am high energy, I am full of passion, full of love and zest, and I want to help people feel better, to love themselves more, and to connect to the present on their yoga mats. And thats what I’m going to do.

With my good pal Britney.

Because if Britney can get through 2007, I can get through the Britney Backlash of the yoga community.

And, as Britney says, “I know not everyone will like me, but this is who I am so if you don’t like it, tough!”

Plus, I’m a yogi through and through–I promise I won’t judge y’all, so I ask you not to judge me.  Just like we all learn differently, we all can practice yoga differently. My way isn’t right, your way isn’t right, but my way is MY way–authentically me through and through. So I’m just going to do me.

And trust that, no matter what you may say, we are all connected. Yoga. Union. That’s what it’s all about. Coming together. Breathing. Uniting. The heart, the soul, the mind, the body. Me. You.

It’s all connected. Whether you realize it or not.

And so, I will keep on being me ’till the world ends. 😉

And just remember– Namaste means the divine in me IS the divine in you.

xoxo,

Lora

18 Comments

1. Maureen April 20, 2015 9:11 am  Reply

I literally LOL’d at the Britney making it through 2007. YOU got this! 🙂

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:41 am  Reply

Tehehe, thank you so much!

2. Cat April 20, 2015 9:35 am  Reply

Love it!! I would come to your yoga class after reading this…Britney themed or otherwise. Intention shining through. Have fun in class:)

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:41 am  Reply

Thank you so so much!!

3. stacy hancock April 20, 2015 10:32 am  Reply

I struggle with being empathetic sometimes, vacillating between, ‘everyone is doing their best’ and ‘for the love of pete, they are supposed to already understand this!’

your mom is right, you are right. hopefully the others will catch up and gain a deeper understanding of being non-judgmental.

see also, come to DM and bring britney with you! 😉

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:41 am  Reply

Thank you again! Your support means SO much Stacy; I truly appreciate it. I promise I will call Angela and Marc this weekend and see about a time to come visit this summer–and then call all the yoga studios you sent me and try to get together a yoga workshop while I am there. I promise!! 🙂

4. Cher April 20, 2015 11:19 am  Reply

Well said! You’d think a true yogi would be a little more open minded, no?

And I would thoroughly enjoy a Britney yoga class as I do with all of your other classes 🙂

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:40 am  Reply

Awe thanks dear!! Can you come?! That would make my day! (Also, there will be a BLOODY MARY FEST GIVEAWAY THIS WEEK! AHHHH!)

5. Beth April 20, 2015 1:35 pm  Reply

They are all just jealous they didn’t think of the idea first!!!!

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:39 am  Reply

Bahahah! Thanks Beth!

6. Rachel April 20, 2015 7:52 pm  Reply

This sounds like an awesome idea! Don’t let the haters get you down, they’re probably just mad they didn’t think of it first 🙂

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:39 am  Reply

Hahahhaha! That’s an excellent point! 😉

7. Stacey April 20, 2015 9:08 pm  Reply

Sounds like a a blast! Have fun and ignore the naysayers. I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said “Trust your intuition. Another’s mind isn’t walking your journey- you are.”

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:39 am  Reply

Thank you! I love that quote!!! Just what I needed to hear. 🙂 I always appreciate your support Stacey!

8. Elizabeth Sutherland April 20, 2015 9:37 pm  Reply

You’re awesome Lora! Good for you for standing up in what you believe in! Wish I could come to your class! Maybe next time!

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:39 am  Reply

Someday! Maybe we should do a blogger-only class??

9. Kristen April 21, 2015 1:54 am  Reply

I personally think this sounds like the most awesome yoga class ever! I hate classes with crazy serious music so I’d be all about this! Sorry people are being crazy, but those people can just choose to sit this one out and make room for the cool people 🙂

• lhogan@gmail.com April 23, 2015 5:38 am  Reply

YAY!! Thank you so much. Your encouragement and support means so much! (And I think it sounds awesome too! WAHOO!)