Lora Hogan > Uncategorized  > #FitnessFriday: Recovery

#FitnessFriday: Recovery

Recovery.

That word to me usually means recovering from a race, a super hard work-out, a crazy yoga workshop.

Not from injury.

Recovery.

According to dictionary.com, one of the definitions of recovery is “restoration or return to health from sickness.”

Well, I am not sick. But I’m definitely in need of a return to health.

Words weren’t made with car accidents in mind.

For all of our technology, it is crazy to realize the impact our technology can have on us. I’m very thankful to be okay. (See “Gratitude” for more information.) But the road to recovery is not an easy one. It’s not fun. In fact, it is DOWN-RIGHT HARD.

Yesterday, I was able to do my first bit of real walking without terrible pain. It was slow. And by slow, I mean SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.  For a runner, it’s hard to move slowly.  But I’m learning.

Sometimes, the only way to get where you want to go is to slow down.  And my recovery is a big smack to the head (literally) to remind me of the importance of slowing down.

In my Georgia home they like to say “hurry up and wait.”

Well, I am learning the power of patience. Of waiting. Of going slowly.

And it’s not easy.

But I’m learning a lot of cool stuff as a result.

Example? Looking around. I am really looking around and seeing.  On my trip to the doctor’s yesterday morning, I saw a beautiful rainbow:

Then last night, on my short walk, I got to see a beautiful mother ducky and her ducklings!

If I was hurrying, maybe I would have noticed these things. But going slowly, I was able to REALLY observe them, to find joy with them, to take them in.  And ducklings are just the cutest little things!

And then, when I got home, I was FINALLY able to take part in the #inversionaday challenge again. Legs up the wall in butterfly pose! It felt amazing to get a hip stretch and inversion in–without having any terrible pain in my back or neck. I couldn’t hold the pose for long, but the fact that I was doing it was absolutely fabulous!!

So I may not be racing my heart out. I may not be swimming, biking, running, yoga-ing! OH MY! I may have had to rethink some of my fun fitness plans for the next few weeks. BUT the fact is, I am learning to slow down. I am learning to recover. I am learning to find joy in the little things.
One day at a time.
What do you do when faced with a long recovery process? How do you stay positive? How do you stay active?

Comments:

• Amy @ Will Run For Ice Cream

June 21, 2013 at 11:05 am

Great positive attitude! I’ve been side lined and it’s not easy. Hang in there! As far as staying active, just do what you can without pushing it.

• Beka

June 21, 2013 at 11:40 am

I’m glad you’re on the path to recovery miss! It won’t be easy, but you’ve got the right attitude — we runners tend to miss a lot of the details since we’re always “eye on the prize at 23498 mph” πŸ™‚

• Runaway Bridal Planner

June 21, 2013 at 11:43 am

You really do have a great attitude! I am going through a long recovery process myself (almost 6 months now). At times I remain positive and others its easy to get discouraged. For me staying active has been hard mostly because I have to stay off my foot, so I have slipped. But I saw the inversion challenge too, and signed up. I figure might as well work on upper body while the lower recovers:) Good luck with your recover, hope it’s fast and you can get back to doing all you love soon!

• Jenna {Real Simple Girl}

June 21, 2013 at 11:46 am

So glad you’re on the road to recovery! And I love all the pretty things you saw yesterday! Happy Friday!

• Amanda RunToTheFinish

June 21, 2013 at 11:59 am

No lie injures absolutely suck. But I have to admit my injuries have all made me a better runner and ensured that I appreciate it all the more!

• Christopher Malenab

June 21, 2013 at 12:47 pm

knock on wood I have not been faced with an injury. I couldn’t imagine being sidelined and not being able to run.

• Karen Seal

June 22, 2013 at 12:48 am

Glad you are able to move around with less pain! Injuries are the worst! Here’s to a speedy recovery!

• Victoria

June 22, 2013 at 9:46 pm

My goodness! Glad you are okay and that you’re slowly getting back to your usual self. I can’t wait to see how the rest of the recovery goes. I’m sure it will fly by!

• Matilda

June 24, 2013 at 5:42 am

Just want to say great post. I think it’s important for people to realise that life can give you unexpected surprises that force you into recovery mode.
    But I think it can also be a wake up call, a moment to realise wow I was doing too much, and I took what I did for granted.
    Just take each day at a time, and before you know it you’ll be back.

• Meghan Kay

June 24, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Very inspirational post. Recovery is hard. I have never had to go through a prolonged recovery, but my husband has. It is not easy! Patience and strenght – which it sounds like you have πŸ™‚